Pages Menu
TwitterRssFacebook
Categories Menu

Posted on May 4, 2012 |

St. Jude Students Report Cleves House Fire

St. Jude Students Report Cleves House Fire

Margaret and Mary Schroeder at St. Jude School (Bridgetown, OH).

by Kathy Ray

Tuesday’s storms brought a lot of wind and rain, but they also gave some quick-thinking young ladies the opportunity to help a neighbor.

St. Jude School eighth grader, Margaret Schroeder, and her third grade sister, Mary, were at home in Cleves Tuesday afternoon. “We were watching TV and doing homework, and we noticed it was pouring rain and there was a lot of lightning, “ Margaret reports. They both looked out the window at their private drive, watching the water on the street go up instead of down, when the TV “just went off. We heard a giant crack, which turned out to be lightning and a tree branch breaking.”

The girls saw a large limb fall onto the roof of their neighbors, the Doerfleins — and then noticed smoke coming out of the corners of the Doerflein’s attic.

“I was kind of scared,” Mary says, “and I didn’t know what to do. But then we just went and told our mom.”

Their mom, Angie Schroeder, quickly called 911; her neighbor, DeeDee Doerflien; and her husband, Matt Schroeder. DeeDee was at work, so when Matt arrived, he went over to the house on Laurelwood Drive and got Brit Dorflien (a senior at Elder) and their dog Hunter to safety.

According to fire officials, the girls’ quick thinking prevented what could have been disastrous for the Doerflein family by reporting the fire so quickly. They were able to put the fire out before it spread beyond the attic.

“I’m just glad no one was hurt,” Margaret says. “We’re really lucky that we were home to help.”

Photos courtesy St. Jude School.