Guardian Angels Follies Returns This Weekend
For the 52nd consecutive year, Guardian Angels Church (Mt. Washington/Cincinnati) will present its spring Follies show. Opening night is Friday.
A large cast of singers, dancers, and actors will present Turn the Page!, the story of a teenager who learns about the power of a good book.
Angels Follies is a parish service organization that presents an annual musical production with players from throughout the community, promoting ecumenical unity and goodwill and raising funds for the parish.
Since 1963, the annual Follies has been an original variety show with skits, music, and dance number loosely organized around an original script. Over time it has come to feature more more singing, precision dancing, themed costumes, intricate staging, and enhanced lighting and sound.
TOP TEN REASONS TO SEE ANGELS FOLLIES
10) You can fulfill a New Year’s Resolution by supporting the parish in a new and enjoyable way.
9) Call for tickets or just walk in to the parish center…it’s really that simple.
8) Follies started 50 years ago; The Beatles landed in America 50 years ago. Follies is still together and going strong. Come and find out why.
7) Make it date night…or a family night out. It will be one to remember.
6) Follies is “America’s Got Talent,” “Dancing with the Stars,” and “American Idol” all rolled into one.
5) It’s the perfect answer to “Nothing is on TV. What should we do tonight?”
4) Free chips and pretzels. We clean up the mess. You won’t get that at home, will you?
3) Honestly, it’s the best entertainment value around.
2) Enjoy wonderful songs and not once will you have to yell “TURN THAT RACKET DOWN!”
…and the Number One reason to attend Angels Follies…
1) Father King gives Follies ‘Two Thumbs Up.’ He’d give it THREE if he could.
Director Elston Hurst began recruiting outside the parish. The cast is open to anyone who has finished high school, and though stage experience is not required, many cast members have previous experience in school and community theater, and many are part of the show every year.
The Parish Center that opened in 2005 doubled the stage space, so the show is bigger and better than ever.
“It’s good family entertainment, a live production, and who knows…you could find yourself as part of the cast next year!” says Greg Lammeier, one of the organizers. “Experience the fun we have putting on an excellent show and you just might get hooked. We hope you do.”
Show dates are April 24-26 and May 1st and 2nd. All shows are at 8 pm, except the April 26th Sunday matinee at 3 pm. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online at the Guardian Angels Follies Ticket Page
Photos courtesy Angels Follies.
For more Catholic events, see our Events page.
If you’ve enjoyed this story, please share it. To get local Catholic news, features and photos every day in your inbox, subscribe in the box at the top of every page or send a request to TheCatholicBeat@gmail.com.