Pages Menu
TwitterRssFacebook
Categories Menu

Posted on Jul 12, 2016 |

Chatfield’s New Chapel Blessed

Chatfield’s New Chapel Blessed

Some of the members of the Robert J. Kneuven family who attended the Chatfield College chapel blessing.

Some of the members of the Robert J. Kneuven family who attended the Chatfield College chapel blessing.

Archbishop Dennis Schnurr blessed the chapel at Chatfield College’s Over-the-Rhine building, a renovated factory in Cincinnati’s rapidly redeveloping urban neighborhood, at a private ceremony last month.

 

Designed by Martha Dorff of Schickel Design, Cincinnati, and paid for by donations from the Robert J. Kneuven Family, St. Angela’s Chapel is named for St. St. Angela Merici, who founded the Company of St. Ursula in Brescia, Italy in 1535.  

 

A glimpse of the chapels new stained glass window through a reclaimed door.

A glimpse of the chapels new stained glass window through a reclaimed door.

Today, the Company of St. Ursula is commonly known as Ursulines and can be found in all parts of the world. Chatfield was founded by the Ursulines of Brown County and has two campuses, the OTR campus, founded in 1971,  and the original campus in rural St. Martin (OH)., founded in 1845.

 

“We are tremendously grateful to the Knueven family for their generous gift in loving memory of Diane, devoted wife, mother, and grandmother,” said Chatfield’s president, John P. Tafaro.  “We are thrilled that our OTR students now have a beautiful, welcoming and prayerful space that reflects our commitment to our Ursuline values and legacy.”

 

St. Angela’s Chapel was designed to reflect the building’s renovated, modernist style that combines original building features with sleek additions. It features a seven-foot round, contemporary stained glass window, as well as traditioanl carved wooden bneches and a historic  confessional door from the St. Martin Church in Brown County.

 

The building on Central Parkway, originally a broom factory for blind workers and most recently a printing company, reopened in August as Chatfield’s first-ever permanent location in OTR. Designed by Emerson Design, Cincinnati, the building renovation received a 2015 Cincinnati Preservation Association award for outstanding adaptive reuse within the Secretary of the Interior’s standards for rehabilitation.

 

Many members of the Kneuven family were able to attend the ceremony, followed by a luncheon.

 

Chatfield College is a private, Catholic, liberal arts college offering the Associate of Arts degree in St. Martin and Cincinnati. An open-enrollment college accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, it is open to students who have a high school diploma or GED.  For more information, visit www.chatfield.edu.

 

Click here for our story on the building renovation, including the designer’s renderings for the chapel. 

 

Click here to see all our current stories and photos.

Please share this story. To get local Catholic news, features and photos every day in your inbox, subscribe in the box at the top of every page or send a request to TheCatholicBeat@gmail.com.

 

Chatffield College's Over-the-Rhine campus. PHoto courtesy the Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce.

Chatffield College’s Over-the-Rhine campus. Photo courtesy the Over-the-Rhine Chamber of Commerce.